Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Drop of Crimson by Jeaneine Frost (Night Huntress World #1)

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, Book 1)From the book: The night is not safe for mortals. Denise MacGregor knows all too well what lurks in the shadows - her best friend is half-vampire Cat Crawfield - and she has already lost more than the average human could bear. But her family's dark past is wrapped in secrets and shrouded in darkness - and a demon shapeshifter has marked Denise as prey. Now her survival depends on an immortal who craves a taste of her. 


He is Spade, a powerful, mysterious vampire who has walked the earth for centuries and is now duty-bound to protect this endangered, alluring human - even if it means destroying his own kind. Denise may arouse his deepest hungers, but Spade knows he must fight his urge to have her as they face the demon nightmare together...

Because once the first drop of crimson falls, they will both be lost.


I knew of this book for several months and really couldn't wait. Spade. The mysterious best bud of bones was to be the star of his very own book. Now, I know many people are into bones, but my heart always seems to gravitate to Spade. Now, I know why. 

In this book Spade having lost his one time love long ago to mortal death has made up his mind to never love another human to spare himself that all consuming grief. He was always drawn to Denise, Cat's best friend, but didn't know why. So, when Denise finds herself in danger, he knows he may be her best chance to survive. He reluctantly, but honor bound, helps her though her own nightmares and together they find themselves falling for each other. The only problem in Spade's eyes is her very short life as a human. Will he be able to change her mind about humanity and join the vampire's world? Not going to spoil that, so you'll have to read it to find out. 

I also must say on a personal note, that I hated Denise. Why? She was with Spade! Otherwise, yea... she was an interesting character. :) Also, for those that are fans of Cat and Bones and their hot bedtime scenes... you won't be disappointed in this book. Cat and Bones have some competition there. I would also like to mention to those that have not read the other Night Huntress books, that you can pick this one up as a stand alone book and not be lost, but I still recommend reading those books first. Only because you will have a more rounded view of the characters. 

I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Unfortunately sharing what exactly disappointed me would spoil the book, so I will not say. It isn't anything that can't be fixed or at least acknowledged the next time we meet both Spade and Denise. I gave this book 4 stars. Don't expect a Cat and Bones story, but look at these characters as having their own personalities away from the former stars. I so recommend this book. I do suggest getting rid of Denise and letting me have a chance. 

What do you mean they are only characters in a book? They aren't real? Surely you jest!


I also submitted this review for the Blog With Bite Reviews.


Discussion Questions:
Denise and Spades chemistry sparks more than a firecracker on the 4rth of July. Did you like the chemistry between them and did you feel the development of the relationship work?

I think that their chemistry and the development of the relationship did work. It did seem a bit awkward at times, but I do think that was purposeful. Especially with what they had both gone through. Neither of them had healed their wounds, but together they both found that common strand that helped them both get through it.

Have you read the Cat & Bones series? Denise is such a different (wimpier) character than Cat... did that make a difference to you?

Of course she was wimpier. She was human (for the most part). Cat was always 1/2 vampire. I think that is the big difference.

LIGHTNING ROUND. Identify your top three favorite PNR 
s

I'll go with couples: Cat and Bones series (although I consider it more urban fantasy), Elena and Clay, and Sookie and Eric.  "There are too many!" is n

4 comments:

  1. I think I was the opposite. Spade was a really interesting character in the Night Huntress series but in FDOC he fell a little flat to me. Denise I liked better b/c we didn't really see her all that much in Cat & Bones therefore my expectations were not as high. Sad but true.

    Overall I liked FDOC but I didn't love it as much as Cat & Bones.

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand that. I can see what you mean about a little flat, but I think his emotions for Denise carried his character through those times.

    Now that we know more about these characters, just think about how great the next Cat and Bones book will become!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wasn't looking forward to this book, because well Spade never poked me...or poked my interest LOL.

    Denise was always a non-entity to me also in the NH series, so both characters I was like whatever. But I did like them in this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!