Monday, December 13, 2010

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Born at MidnightFrom Goodreads:
Kylie Galen has had a lot of crap tossed in her lap. Her parents are getting a divorce. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn’t put out. Her grandmother died and now Kylie’s acquired a stalker. Unfortunately, she’s the only one who seems to be able to see the stalker. And that gets her sent to a psychologist’s sofa. 
The kooky psychologist gets Kylie sent to Shadow Falls Camp. Kylie and her parents think it’s a camp for troubled teens. 
They thought wrong. 

It’s a camp of supernaturals: vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and shape shifters. And if she believes the camp leader, Kylie is one of them, too. 
Just because she’s seeing ghosts, just because she was born at midnight, does that really mean she’s not human? And if so, what is she? Not even the other supernaturals can tell her. 
As Kylie attempts to cope with the realization that these creatures actually exist, and that she might even be one of them, the ever present stalker/ghost appears to have secrets that could unravel the mystery of Kylie’s identity and her destiny. 
But getting a ghost to open up is as hard as getting a guy to talk about his feelings. 
As Kylie struggles to find answers, two hot guys, a werewolf and a half-fairy vie for her attention. However, Kylie’s determined that before she lets her heart discover a new love, she needs to solve her identity crisis and unearth the truth of her destiny.
 Growing up, we are all faced with some sort of identity crisis. We have to take the time and consider what we like, what we stand for and against, what we enjoy and hate. However, this book isn't just about finding out who you are, but also what you are. Imagine as most teenagers feel that they just don't belong and somewhere in the back of your mind you know that you do, it just doesn't feel that way. Now imagine that you find out your instinct was correct and you don't belong. Belong to anything you knew as normal. Kylie even has the further problem because not only does she not know what she is, no one else can tell her either. Now, feeling like the freak of the freaks, she must learn all the teenage lessons we all had to learn but a few more. And there is no one can help guide her through. 

This was a fun book to read. Yes, you get all that teenage angst and drama, but Kylie, even though confused about her emotions, has the sense to know it and not act so rashly as we usually see in this genre. She approaches her problems as sensibly as she can without letting her emotions totally run her existence. Her friends are interesting as well. She learns, within a short time, a great deal about not letting labels define people. That everyone has a story, and once you learn that story, you often see them in a new light. Plus, they had a dyslexic witch that had the same direction problems as I have (no, it's your other left... lol). It's not all seriousness in this book with teenage supernatural problems. There are also plenty of laughs especially connected to the boys! Oh, and I do have one major criticism of this book. While it does not leave you with a total cliffhanger, you are left with one important question hanging. No, I'm not telling you what question you are left with, but I tell you, I want the next book NOW! *sigh*

I give this book 4 stars. If you enjoy YA and like a girl who gets caught up in emotions, but yet doesn't let them rule her life, then you will enjoy this book. Put it on your wishlist now! It will be published March, 29, 2011. It is a fun read!

I was given this book by the Library Thing Early Reviewers program and St. Martin's Griffin. No compensation for my review was given. 

LibraryThing Early Reviewers



10 comments:

  1. WOW, loved your review. I can't wait to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so on my wishlist!
    Thanks for the review!!
    It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received an arc of this too! I am about 3/4 of the way through and I really like it. It is very hard to put down. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. I love it already and that cover is awesome! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually tried to get this one from LibraryThing hehe! I'm glad you liked it, I love the cover and since I hear good things about it I will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that cover, so yes perhaps. I do like the sound of her too, not letting herself get swept away

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so putting this on my wishlist because I love YA and emotional yet fun stories.

    I have dyslexia and some people call me a witch so perhaps I made an appearance in this book and didn't even know it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear Kylie isn't as rash and unthinking as many of the YA heroines seem to be depicted nowadays. I have a little of the dyslexic witch in me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me though I do hope it doesn't contain too much teenage angst as I'm still recovering from Bella. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm...Strangely enough I haven't heard of this book yet. It sounds decent, though I'm not sure if it's for me or not. I'll put it on my list to look for at the library when it comes out. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!