Friday, August 17, 2012

The Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse #4) by Alex Bledsoe

Twenty years ago, a barmaid in a harbor town fell for a young sailor who turned pirate to make his fortune. But what truly became of Black Edward Tew remains a mystery—one that has just fallen into the lap of freelance sword jockey Eddie LaCrosse. 
For years, Eddie has kept his office above Angelina’s tavern, so when Angelina herself asks him to find out what happened to the dashing pirate who stole her heart, he can hardly say no—even though the trail is two decades old. Some say Black Edward and his ship, The Bloody Angel, went to bottom of the sea, taking with it a king’s fortune in treasure. Others say he rules a wealthy, secret pirate kingdom. And a few believe he still sails under a ghostly flag with a crew of the damned. 
To find the truth, and earn his twenty-five gold pieces a day, Eddie must take to sea in the company of a former pirate queen in search of the infamous Black Edward Tew…and his even more legendary treasure.
When I received this book I had no idea it was part of a series and #4. However, after reading Mel's review from Mel's Random Reviews, I discovered that I would have no problems in coming in the middle of a series (not that it ever stopped me before...). She was absolutely right. I had no problems with this book which can be read as a stand a lone.

Although this is a fantasy book, I would suggest this to people who love mysteries. Someone wanting to try something a bit different, but want that mystery to solve. That is how this read to me. A mystery set in a time with pirates and sword wielding. It was a fun adventure that had me guessing as to what happened and what was going on.

My biggest complaint is that they might have been a bit too accurate with the pirate hygiene. I have Johnny Depp dancing in my head... smelling quite nice. I want my pirates roguish with lots of deodorant. Okay so that isn't how it was... but that is why it's fantasy! Can't swoon when you have to hold your nose. Wait... I guess you can, but it's just not the same. ;)

I give this book 4 stars. And in all seriousness, I really suggest those that want to try a fantasy try this one. Those that want a different type of mystery try it. I also have to say you won't be lost even for a second even though this is #4. I do want to read the rest of the books in this series. Not because I feel like I missed important information, but because I want more adventures with Eddie.
I received this book from Tor and no compensation for my review was given.

12 comments:

  1. I want to read more Eddie adventures as well! I thought this was a lot of fun!
    I didn't really notice the 'smells' but then I always picture Johnny Depp when I think of pirates as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It looks like a fun, adventurous story. I like! And glad to hear you still want more adventures with Eddie, even though he smells. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this series a lot, and I've got this book on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I love a bit of swashbuckling this sounds like my kind of read though like Mel I always think Johnny Depp ...... after I've pictured a parrot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You read out of order--how come I am not surprised!

    Actually this does sound right up my alley but I refuse to start with book 4 LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My biggest complaint is that they might have been a bit too accurate with the pirate hygiene. I have Johnny Depp dancing in my head... smelling quite nice. I want my pirates roguish with lots of deodorant."

    Have I mentioned how much I love you Melissa? Because I do. So much. That is a very sexy pirate on the cover of this book, and in my head he smells delicious, so I'm on board with your roguish pirates covered liberally in deodorant:) Despite some of the smelliness, this sounds like a fun story, and I like that you can come in in the middle and not be lost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was curious about this series but haven't tried it yet. Well you know I read a few fantasy books, but I'll keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice when you can just jump into a series and read! I love that this blends historical, fantasy and mystery! Too cool...not to keen on the smelly ass pirates part, though! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LMAO, I saw the word pirate and of course Jack Sparrow (smelling nice and with awesome guyliner) popped into my head! Never read about pirates before but I've heard good things by the author. I'll keep this one in mind when I'm browsing the library's fantasy section. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tsk, look at that, reading out of series again. You will never atone will you?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, I might listen to you on this one :) I do like fantasy, and I do like mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are reading this series as well!?! Oh man, I really got to get to it. Sounds like a wonderful read. And reading out of order. Now, *why* would you do something like that? You never do that. ;D LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!