Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Endless by Amanda Gray

1st in a series
384p.
Publisher: Month9Books, LLC
Available Now
Source: From NetGalley and Publisher for review
Jenny Kramer knows she isn't normal. After all, not everybody can see the past lives of people around them. 
When she befriends Ben Daulton, resident new boy, the pair stumble on an old music box with instructions for “mesmerization” and discover they may have more in common than they thought. Like a past life. 
Using the instructions in the music box, Ben and Jenny share a dream that transports them to Romanov Russia and leads them to believe they have been there together before. But they weren't alone. Nikolai, the mysterious young man Jenny has been seeing in her own dreams was there, too. When Nikolai appears next door, Jenny is forced to acknowledge that he has travelled through time and space to find her. Doing so means he has defied the laws of time, and the Order, an ominous organization tasked with keeping people in the correct time, is determined to send him back.

While Ben, Jenny and Nikolai race against the clock - and the Order - Jenny and Nikolai discover a link that joins them in life - and beyond death.
My thoughts:
I do enjoy a time travel novel. Most of the times I can ignore the parts where a lot of people have to shout, "It can't happen like that!" because I'm more invested in the characters and their story. It was like that here. I did become invested in Jenny and Ben mostly. I did like the other characters, but these two were my favorites. I really enjoyed their friendship and how they started to slowly open up to each other.

When Nikolai came onto the scene, I was intrigued. However, for some reason I cannot put my finger on, I just didn't fully buy Jenny and Nikolai's romance. It didn't feel false, and how it came about make some sense, but I don't think my ability to ignore the "but" worked here. For example: I can see why there are intense feelings present but Jenny has lived a different life and why would she so easily succumb to those feelings without some reflection or a bit more questioning.  Perhaps it is because she is so young? Still, it was a bit fast for me.

I did enjoy the novel, but it sort of seemed like something I've read before. Not that something like that is necessarily a negative (don't we all read the same stories over and over because we enjoy the trope?) but I was wanting a bit more variation on my time travel story. I will fully admit, this might have been just me and where I was when I read it. I would still pick up the next story to see where it goes. I give this novel 3 stars.

18 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoy a good time travel novel as well, but I'm a bit bummed the romance didn't reach out and grab you a bit more Melissa! Like you said, I don't mind if there's nothing groundbreaking about the story if the characters are amazing, but it sounds like this group, while likable, didn't necessarily blow you away either. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did still like it and I still can't quite put my finger on what didn't work for me. :-/

      Delete
  2. Time travel is hit or miss with me, though I don't mind a book that has a similar feel to others, as long as it's diverse enough to stand apart. Pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I confess now I also have questions about their relationship... I can understand that. Don't know if it's for me but I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really read many time travel novels but I think the characters are always my main thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Time travel! Will have to check it out. Though, I don't like the feel of "I read this before" still it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still might enjoy. I think you'd like the romance more than I did. :)

      Delete
  6. I love time travel! And this one sounds like one I might really like. I haven't read one that didn't feel completely unique. And the time and place they travel to is one I don't think I've read much about. I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, most of these aren't totally unique, but still enjoyable!

      Delete
  7. I don't mind tropes when they're used well. :) I am currently reading a time travel book too (The River of No Return) and loving it, so I definitely understand the allure.
    AS for the tropes, sometimes same old can be very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have no issues with time travel, as a Doctor Who fan I believe in the impossible, however like you I can accept insta-love if the author makes me feel the passion and emotions, It sounds like something was missing. Wonderful review and the cover is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am one of those that has problems with time travel, but I would still take a chance. Love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would probably have issues with this too, but I'm usually able to look past it if the story has other redeeming qualities, like a strong romance or fun action. I was curious about this one, and it's nice to know it was good, but not mind-blowing. I feel good about where it is on my TBR pile for now. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard this books has its ups and downs from many readers, so you've confirmed that this isn't one for me. Thanks for your honest review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed. i have def had that book de ja vu before

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!