Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga #1) by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Waterfire Saga #1
320p.
Publisher: Disney Press
Published: May, 6, 14
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
The first in a series of four epic tales set in the depths of the ocean, where six mermaids seek to protect and save their hidden world. 
Deep in the ocean, in a world not so different from our own, live the merpeople. Their communities are spread throughout the oceans, seas, and freshwaters all over the globe. 
When Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, awakens on the morning of her betrothal, her biggest worry should be winning the love of handsome Prince Mahdi. And yet Sera finds herself haunted by strange dreams that foretell the return of an ancient evil. Her dark premonitions are confirmed when an assassin's arrow poisons Sera's mother. Now, Serafina must embark on a quest to find the assassin's master and prevent a war between the Mer nations. Led only by her shadowy dreams, Sera searches for five other mermaid heroines who are scattered across the six seas. Together, they will form an unbreakable bond of sisterhood and uncover a conspiracy that threatens their world's very existence.
My thoughts:
 This is a first book of four in the Waterfire Saga. In this book we are introduced to Serafina a mermaid destined to take over for her mother in ruling her area of the sea. Her betrothal is someone she did love, but isn't so sure of lately. The rumors of his actions of late leave the princess less than thrilled at the prospect as had been just a year ago. While you think at first this is what the book is about, there is a dark turn the book takes and now Seraphina must find out who she really is and what she cares about. She needs to find out what kind of ruler she is going to become. She meets others along the way set out with their own but entwining destiny with Seraphina and this book is mostly about uncovering those truths and what they reveal about who they will become.

I feel this is an easy read for a fantasy book. I actually think that MG readers would also be able to get into this book easily. I did have a few problems with the book and it had more to do with the actions of the mermaids forgetting they were under water. For example, how would one drink a specific drink? Without a straw or some apparatus like this, it would just mix with the water. One instance it was said that Seraphina had tears. I could see looking as if she was crying, but again tears, unless out of the water, would not be seen. I also remember one mermaid remarking that another had beads of sweat on her brow. These were minor but an example of when I think the world was confused with one on dry land.

I give this book 3 stars. Despite the flaws with consistency with the world building I think it was an easy and enjoyable read that young kids could easily slip into. I recommend it to those wanting to try a fantasy book with mermaids! :)

20 comments:

  1. I've noticed things like that in other mermaid books too. Sounds interesting other than that though. Is it low on the romance? I might recommend it to my niece.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is low on the romance, but there is a romance brewing in the background. :)

      Delete
  2. As excited as I initially was about this book, I'm thinking I might wind-up saving it for the kid sister. No matter how cool a concept I find Atlantis to be, some YA books really are for YAs, and this is sounding more and more like one of them. Great review, Melissa!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could change with the upcoming books, but yes, I would say def. YA... or even MG.

      Delete
  3. Huh. It would definitely be tricky to sweat and/or cry underwater Melissa! Those little details would likely bother me as well, but I'm glad it was still a quick and easy read. I have it on my list for next month, so I'm curious to see what I'll think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did bother me, but not so much to ruin the book. Still little deets can make a book.

      Delete
  4. I did not let myself get sucked in by the cover. I have only read one mermaid book that I liked and the rest were disappointments. Mermaids as a whole are just not interesting to me. I think crying and drinking and sweating underwater would bother me too. Thanks for affirming my decision to skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have hope that I will read one that will blow me away. BTW, I might have a suggestion for you... :)

      Delete
  5. I never even thought about drinking and crying for mermaids until now! Glad you were able to enjoy this despite some worldbuilding issues. I'm surprised that it has a younger feel to it, because her other books are dark and serious, but I'm still curious to check it out! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want more from world building

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm disappointed this is mainly a MG book as I adore this author's YA historical fiction titles. Knowing that she'll be working on these four books for the next few years and won't be publishing anything else is a bit upsetting, especially as this isn't for me, but I suppose I always have her adult novels too. Lovely review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you're right, I didn't think of these problems like about the drinks. It didn't even cross my mind. But it's true. I liked the ideas but you're right something is missing. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on my tbr pile. And since it has been getting lots of hype, I'm hoping I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm..not sure if I'll pick this one up even though I really enjoyed the author's other books. I'll wait to see what book 2 looks like and I hope the editors pay more attention to the inconsistencies in the world building- that would take me completely out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really struggle with Mermaid books, although I find them curious creatures.Not sure this one is for me, I do love the cover and I am glad you enjoyed aspects of it

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I think if I read this one now, all I'll be thinking about is them drinking with straws and sealed astronaut-style packs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's too bad about it not wow'ing you more. I just got a copy and have been curious. I'm not always big on mermaid books but this is one I was curious about. I guess we'll see if I can fit it in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I had really high hopes for this series. I love all things mer. I guess maybe I could read it and just lower my expectations. And the sisterhood of the six mermaids really was appealing to me. Maybe the next novel will be stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bah I feel like a lot of mermaid books just become disappointing ;( looking forward to trying this one anyway

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I'm not the only that was bugged by the drinks and water things, quite annoyed me!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!