Friday, July 18, 2014

The Collection (The Registry #2) by Shannon Stoker

Series: The Registry #2
368p.
Publisher: Wm. Morrow
Available Now
Source: LibraryThing Early Reviewers for review
How far would you go to control your own destiny?

Mia Morrissey has escaped: America, the Registry, and the role she was raised for— a perfect bride auctioned to the highest bidder. She’s enemy number one to the world’s largest power, and there’s no turning back now. 
From the moment she and her friends Andrew, and Carter cross the border into Mexico it becomes clear their troubles are only beginning. The young men are immediately picked up by a violent and omnipotent militia—The Collection—and it’s Mia’s turn to rescue them. 
With time running out, her ex-fiancĂ©’s henchman on her trail, and a dangerous tide shifting back in America, Mia will do whatever she has to. Even if that means risking everything and putting herself back on an auction block. The price of freedom is never too high…but what if the cost is her life?
My thoughts:
I didn't read the first book and knowing this was a trilogy I did worry that I would have trouble following the book. I didn't have problems at all. In fact I forgot this was the second book. There were only a couple of times when I felt as if I missed something, but even then I didn't think what I missed was a big deal for this book. I think that is because this book marks a beginning for all the characters on a new adventure. So yes, you can read this one without feeling lost.

I did like Mia's character. Willing to learn she starts out as a mouse and really starts to grow into her own person. Even when presented with what seems like an incredible offer she stops to ponder what it means for her and her new life. I liked that rather than jumping blindly into things. In fact, she becomes a pretty good strategist. I also like the secondary characters. Riley was my favorite secondary character and I hope we meet her again in the final book. I really want to know more of her story.

My biggest complaint about the book was the focus on the Registry. Yes, I do understand it is a list which promotes and controls young women in this world. However, I don't think that just taking down the Registry would accomplish taking down a whole country. There were more issues and problems and it just seemed to over simplify things. It just did't make sense to think this was solving a much bigger problem.

I give this book 3 stars. If you missed the first book, don't worry you can read this one easily out of order. I am curious to see what happens next and I'm guessing that it would be more important to read this book before reading the last. Things set up the last book too well. I'm looking forward to the trilogy's end.

21 comments:

  1. Yeah that would annoy me. Just cos that is down does not mean the country is down

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole premise creeps me out: "perfect bride auctioned to the highest bidder". *shudder* And it's never just one issue -- taking down the Registry might promote change but it wouldn't change the entire country immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever got the first one but I did get this one. Will have to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first one is free today only. Just found that out.

      Delete
  4. I would not have guessed this would be a series you could read out of order, but I'm glad to know it is! I have this book on my shelf but haven't read the first one, so maybe I'll jump in right in the middle as you did:) *high five*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before but you've definitely piqued my curiosity about the series. Great review, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of things one before, Melissa. I think the premise is interesting and creepy. I'll have to take a look at this one when I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's good you could read it out of order with no problem. I remember hearing of the first book but I don't know that I've paid them much attention. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a problem reading this one without the first one. *whew* :D

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear you could read this without picking up the first! I hate when I come into a series and feel completely lost. I think I'll wait to hear what you think of book three before committing to the series, but I'm so happy you enjoyed this enough to continue on and to give it three stars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read book one, but never snagged book two. Glad you were able to follow along. I would never be brave enough to try a second book in a trilogy. You amazing me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate it when I mistakenly read a trilogy out of order, so I'm relieved to hear that it's do-able in this case. I'll probably wait until all of the installments have been released before deciding on whether I should add this to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's interesting. Usually you can't read a trilogy and skip a book!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh it's nice that you didn't have any problem at all, it's rare when it's a trilogy but perfect for me lol. But I can understand the little problem too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo, glad to see you can read this series out of order! It sounds exciting, but I'm a little skeptical on the world-building based on your review. Thanks for sharing, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, sounds like an interesting concept but got tied up in that and not got to the rest of the world troubles/items. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!