Monday, September 8, 2014

Red Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Series: Jessica McClain #4
320 p.
Publisher: Orbit
Published: 9/914
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
Jessica is on her way to Hell. After settling a fragile truce between the vampires, werewolves and witches, the last thing Jessica wants to do is face the demons head on. But when the Prince of Hell kidnapped her brother, he set into motion a chain of events that even Jessica doesn't have the power to stop. 
Now, Jessica must go into battle again. But Hell is a whole new beast... new rules, more dangerous demons, and an entirely foreign realm. And when Jessica is dropped into the Underworld too soon, without protection or the help of her friends, she must figure out just how powerful she can be... or she will never make it out alive.
My thoughts:
This book had everything I do enjoy in a UF. It had plenty of action and a seemingly impossible task. While I did enjoy the plot I had some problem with the execution with this book. To me it seemed that there was action for action's sake and not to move the story line. It just felt forced to me and didn't quite flow as well as the other books. As with the others in the series I wish that the book would end at least one chapter sooner. While this sounds strange to some it is like starting another book that just stops. I'd rather have a solid ending than a cliffie.

Okay having said all that you would think I didn't like this book at all. Not true. What really saved this book for me are the characters. I do enjoy all the characters and what will keep me going in this series is finding out more about them. Selene, who was the big baddie in previous installments, has made a reappearance and I'm curious to see how that turns out.

I give this installment to the Jessica McClain series 3 stars. I didn't enjoy this one as I did the previous books but I still look forward to reading the next in the series. I recommend the series to those that enjoy UF.

18 comments:

  1. A shame that this wasn't as good as previous books, that it felt a bit forced.I hope that the next book(s ) sees the series back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you did not enjoy it as much as previous books then there is no hope for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always hope for you! ;) I remember the first book didn't capture you like it did me. So, probably isn't the series for you. :(

      Delete
  3. Eh, sorry that it was only okay but good to hear that you are still looking forward to the next one

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like there's always that one book in a series that just doesn't live up to the standards of the other ones and I think this one may be it for this series! Hopefully the next one is better! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. That is exactly why this one doesn't bother me as much.

      Delete
  5. Unless I'm mis-remembering... I don't think there was a triangle in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I was a little sad with this one I didn't expect that. But I'm curious for more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're absolutely right that this one didn't seem as structured as the others. And I didn't like the change of setting, it wasn't done as well as it could have been. The whole thing seemed quite directionless. But overall, I still love the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep wavering on this series. The first two books were so promising but then it seems to be weakening. Boo! to a cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read one review of this book that rated it above 3-stars, which incidentally is what I'm giving it too. There was a lot of action, but not really because most of it happens internally (i.e. Jess talking to her wolf, using her powers as a shield, etc), so the heroine actually spends A LOT of the story standing still. And, yeah I'm with you, it could have ended several chapters sooner IMO. I won't be continuing this series—too bad, because I loved the first two installments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sad about this. I really, really want it to be a four-star read! I've enjoyed the previous installments but...but...well, you know. Yeah. Still, I know I'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The characters sound wonderful, but with so many series on my wishlist I am not sure just ok is for me. Great review Melissa, I will watch and see what the next book does for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't love book #1 but everyone told me to pick up the prequel. I'm still a little unsure if ti's my kind of series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to pick up this series but the fact that you didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the previous installments is disappointing. Still, I hope the series picks up once again and, at any rate, it's about time for me to dive in. Thanks for your honest review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The characters do make it or break it for me. As long as I can feel what the characters are feeling, I can stick to it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!