Monday, July 18, 2016

The Secret Language of Stones by M. J. Rose

Series: The Daughter's of La Lune #2
320 p.
Publisher: Atria Books
Published: 7/19/16
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
Nestled within Paris’s historic Palais Royal is a jewelry store unlike any other. La Fantasie Russie is owned by Pavel Orloff, protégé to the famous Faberge, and is known by the city’s fashion elite as the place to find the rarest of gemstones and the most unique designs. But war has transformed Paris from a city of style and romance to a place of fear and mourning. In the summer of 1918, places where lovers used to walk, widows now wander alone. 
So it is from La Fantasie Russie’s workshop that young, ambitious Opaline Duplessi now spends her time making trench watches for soldiers at the front, as well as mourning jewelry for the mothers, wives, and lovers of those who have fallen. People say that Opaline’s creations are magical. But magic is a word Opaline would rather not use. The concept is too closely associated with her mother Sandrine, who practices the dark arts passed down from their ancestor La Lune, one of sixteenth century Paris’s most famous courtesans. 
But Opaline does have a rare gift even she can’t deny, a form of lithomancy that allows her to translate the energy emanating from stones. Certain gemstones, combined with a personal item, such as a lock of hair, enable her to receive messages from beyond the grave. In her mind, she is no mystic, but merely a messenger, giving voice to soldiers who died before they were able to properly express themselves to loved ones. Until one day, one of these fallen soldiers communicates a message—directly to her.
My thoughts:

This is the follow up to The Witch of Painted Sorrows (my review linked) which I overall enjoyed but had a few problems within the characters. I have to admit I don't fully remember what they were exactly but I had no such problems with this book. I do remember enough of the last book to see where this one had been and where it was going and I was not lost. I enjoyed all the characters, even those less than kind but actually harmful.

This is a story of one of the daughters from the last book. She has the gift of lithomancy and can hear and feel the energy of stones, especially gemstones. She becomes a jeweler who also helps those who have lost loved ones to the war. She is able to create a talisman for the individual and hear the departed's last message to the one who is left behind. This message has allowed countless people to move on as well as the spirit. In this book, the spirit is trapped by the grief of their loved ones. Opaline also does not fully accept her gift nor her place as a La Lune daughter and this gets in the way of how she has chosen to live her life. She lives it though giving to others but has a hard time replenishing herself.

I think that is the most interesting aspect to the book. The romance that is woven through the book is light (and has a wicked twist) and is really there to move Opaline's transformation along. There is a running mystery with the bolsheviks and the Romanov family which lends a rich history to the telling. There are a couple of twists (one is the romance I just mentioned) but both are easily figured out. This does not take away from the story and it makes sense that Opaline doesn't see it when the reader sees what lurks behind. We are the observers and not the players so our vision isn't as hindered as it would be if we were Opaline.

I give this book 4 stars. It was gripping and even though twists were easily discovered it did not take away from the overall storyline. I recommend it to those that like psychic, historical romance books. :)

34 comments:

  1. I really love these titles--they're so beautiful!--and the concept behind this series is fascinating! I'll definitely have to look into them. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Melissa, and I'm glad that you're enjoying these books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love the covers. So far, I'm enjoying this series.

      Delete
  2. This has such a gorgeous cover! Glad it was more than a pretty face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... this sounds totally different but good. Not sure if I'll run to get the series, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than I thought with the first book. I'm really enjoying them. Library? :)

      Delete
  4. I tried one of hers aaaaages ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it that it didn't go well? These might be a the library to see if you would enjoy her more now. I haven't read her older work.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever stumbled upon lithomancy in books, but I'm so curious to see how it was done. I have a soft spot for gemstones. :)
    I've never heard of these books, but I'm off to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author has a genuine interest in it and it was interesting. :)

      Delete
  6. It was probably a good thing you couldn't remember your problems with the first book. Sounds interesting, especially since the 2nd book was an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they weren't big problems and I know I wanted to continue with the series.

      Delete
  7. I'm not familiar with this author/series. It sounds really interesting and is a great cover. Wonderful review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the second book was better than the first - which is usually the opposite, btw. :) Interesting concept!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear! I'm so disappointed that you thought the characters lacking. I had such high hopes for this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh not this one, the first book. This one I had no such problems.

      Delete
  10. Oooo a romance with a wicked twist? I AM INTRIGUED MELISSA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have enjoyed some of this author's works. Do I need to read the first book? Sometimes her books work as standalone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could read this one as a standalone, but it will probably make you want to know more about the characters referenced in the first book.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like it was a little better this time. :) Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never read a historical but this sounds really interesting! The gift the MC has sounds quite unique.

    A lovely review! Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how she blended the paranormal with the historical. It was interesting!

      Delete
  14. It looks like a good one there! Firt time I hear about it but I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to hear that it was gripping and the light romance throughout

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oo a wicked twist? You've got me curious on that one :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!